Know Your Sanctions Lists - Nonproliferation Sanctions
This is the fifth post in a series of twelve covering the lists that make up the U.S. Government's Consolidated Screening List. ECScreening includes access to the Consolidated Screening List as well as other sanctions lists and crucial value-adding features such as Recurring Searches, Search History, and Country Alerts.
Nonproliferation Sanctions are administered by the Department of State under a series of laws targeting “foreign individuals, private entities, and governments that engage in proliferation activities” including:
- Sections 231 and 235 of the Countering America’s Adversaries Through Sanctions Act (CAATSA)
- Executive Order 13382
- Iran and Syria Nonproliferation Act
- Executive Order 12938, as amended
- Iran-Iraq Arms Nonproliferation Act of 1992
- Arms Export Control Act
- Export Administration Act
- Chemical and Biological Weapons Control and Warfare Elimination Act
- Lethal Military Equipment to Terrorist States (Section 620H of the Foreign Assistance Act and various appropriations acts)
- Iran, North Korea, and Syria Nonproliferation Act Sanctions (INKSNA)
- Iran Nonproliferation Act of 2000
- Nuclear Proliferation Prevention Act
- Export-Import Bank Act of 1945
Nonproliferation Sanctions target countries of concern such as Iran and North Korea, but also seek to prevent the proliferation of missile programs and chemical, biological, and nuclear weapons development worldwide.
Sanctioned parties are published in the Federal Register and the current list can be accessed from the State Department’s Nonproliferation Sanctions page.
Specific sanctions may vary depending on the underlying law, regulation, or executive order including U.S. government procurement bans, export license suspension and denial, blocked property, and general prohibitions against transactions with sanctioned parties. The Federal Register notice for any sanctioned party should be reviewed carefully. Sanctions may also be rescinded on a case-by-case basis.
Previous Posts in this Series: